Meet the Owners
Brian Hurst - Founder
Brian currently works as a Financial Professional, helping families and business owners to protect their loved ones, grow and protect their wealth, and achieve financial goals. This career has allowed him to transition The Science Factory from its original for-profit structure to a non-profit organization! A long-awaited dream.
Brian has always loved science, and started The Science Factory to share his enthusiasm for science with the next generation!
He also has a passion for teaching. He was an owner and head instructor at Silva Martial Arts for a decade, he founded an after-school program, and he even worked as a Mythbuster at the Tech Museum! Later on, Brian enjoyed 6 years as a University Economics Lecturer. Whatever the subject, he finds joy in connecting with his students and helping them thrive.
Jennifer Hurst - Co-founder and Curriculum Consultant
Jennifer is a graduate of Santa Clara University, with a BS in Biochemistry, and a minor in Biotechnology. During school, she worked in the university’s microbiology lab as a researcher and was twice published as a co-author for her work with Caulobacter.
Like Brian, she has always loved science and teaching. In high school and early college, Jennifer nannied, coached children’s gymnastics, and was a martial arts instructor as well. Her scientific career has since included various biomedical technology startups and computer programming.
Why Choose Our Camp?
Student Safety & Comfort
- Our camp is located in a secure facility.
- All staff members undergo background checks.
- Our classrooms are equipped with A/C.
- Earlier sign-ups receive lower prices!
- Sibling discount automatically applied at checkout
- Military discounts upon request (contact us)
Growth & Independence
- Students play a major role in their own learning.
- Students "build it" and "test it" themselves (as
much as possible), rather than just watching.
- Leadership program available for older students.
- We accepts students entering grades 1-8. Great for siblings!
- Extended care available → AM and PM.
- 1 snack provided each day.
- Activities are as hands-on as possible.
- Engaging the mind and the body together creates
a richer and more lasting experience for students.
Awesome Art Projects
- Art projects fit the camp's weekly themes.
- Projects range from drawing, to designing, to building.
- We emphasize creative freedom.
Something for Everyone
- ALL NEW themes are released each year.
- Topics are based on parent/student suggestions.
- We cover new subjects daily that fit a weekly theme.
- Subjects range from hard sciences like Chemistry,
to silly sciences like Superhero Science.
The History of The Science Factory
The Science Factory started as a summer hobby when my wife and I were still in college. We had no idea how quickly it would catch on! From 2012 to 2019, the camp experienced rapid growth...
... from 10 students to 150+ students.
... from one week to seven
... from one classroom to three!
Sadly, in 2020, COVID permanently closed our original location. I moved on to another career and it seemed like the dream had come to an end. But then, in 2022, we decided that this camp deserved another chance. We restarted the camp in Spokane Valley for the first time in three years, and it sold out! We raised thousands of dollars for charity, and with your help, we plan to do that again in 2023!*
Thank you to all of the families that have supported our dream over the years! We were overwhelmed with gratitude at the camp's immediate success in Spokane Valley in 2022, and we look forward to serving our community and beyond for years to come!
*In 2022, we pledged to donate 100% of camp profits to support Living Water – a nonprofit that helps to develop new water resources for communities in need around the world. Our 2023 charity will be announced soon!